Our mission and performance
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is the UK’s independent regulator of advertising across all media. We investigate and adjudicate on potential breaches of the Advertising Codes, and monitor compliance with the rules.
Our mission is to ensure that advertising in all media is legal, decent, honest and truthful, to the benefit of consumers, business and society.
We aim to achieve our mission by getting better at regulating ads in all media, and in particular by:
- Making a success of regulating online ads
- Being an effective part of the response to societal issues shown to be affected by advertising
- Placing more emphasis on prevention rather than cure
- Being more efficient and in tune with consumers, business and society
Our shared values are to be:
- Consistent and proportionate
- Reliable and ethical
- Fair and respectful to all
- Accessible and helpful
- Intelligent and thorough, but also timely and proportionate
- Open and accountable, acting with integrity and never being afraid to admit when we’re wrong
- An excellent team, inspiring excellence in each other
Our external stakeholders will also find us:
- Independent in administering the Advertising Codes
- Evidence-based, targeted and consistent
- Reflective of society, not a social engineer
Procedures and standards of service
Our procedures are transparent and open to scrutiny. View our detailed complaints handling procedure for both broadcast and non-broadcast advertising.
We also work to published standards of service. We are committed to:
- Being accessible to members of the public and the advertising industry
- Resolving complaints without undue delay, whilst recognising that complex complaints can take longer than the average
- Being effective in meeting the needs of our customers, whether members of the public or industry
- Delivering a high quality and professional service
- Being open about our procedures and our decision making, and accountable for our performance
The ASA recognises the importance of providing a service that is accessible to everyone, including people with disabilities. Please let us know when you first contact us if you have any accessibility needs and we will do our best to accommodate them.
Between 2009 and 2011, we conducted a review of our processes and implemented a number of changes to make us more effective and efficient. Read more
You can view our performance against these commitments in our Annual Report (a full year summary), and our Annual Statement (performance in the first half of the year). Download our quarterly updates below:
ASA performance figures Q4 2013
ASA performance figures Q3 2013
ASA performance figures Q2 2013
ASA performance figures Q1 2013
Complaints about the ASA
We are committed to offering a highly professional, expert and efficient service and regularly receive positive feedback from both complainants and advertisers through our regular surveys. A summary of our customer feedback can be found in the 'Standards of Service' sections of our Annual Report and Annual Statement.
If you are dissatisfied with the ASA's decision on your complaint you may be able to request a review by the Independent Reviewer of ASA Adjudications. View the details of the review procedure here.
Members of ASA staff will at all times identify themselves by name and endeavour to be as polite and helpful as possible. If you think your contact with us has not lived up to the high standards we set ourselves, and you wish to make a complaint please read our page about making a complaint about the ASA here.