Misleading Advertising: Timothy Burrows t/a Eminations Acupuncture Clinic breaks the UK advertising rules for making unsubstantiated health claims for acupuncture on the eminations-acupuncture-clinic.co.uk website.
The “What can Acupuncture help with?” page on the eminations-acupuncture-clinic.co.uk website lists a range of health conditions, including: eczema, hypertension, hay fever, ME, fertility, menopause, period problems, stroke, emphysema, Crohn’s disease and fibromyalgia.
CAP accepts that practitioners of acupuncture may provide the following:
- Short-term improvement in the symptoms of overactive bladder syndrome (through electro-acupuncture at the SP6 point)
- Short-term relief of tension type headaches
- Short-term relief of migraine headache
- Short-term relief of chronic low back pain
- Short-term relief of neck pain or chronic neck pain
- Short-term relief from temporomandibular (TMD/TMJ) pain
- Temporary adjunctive treatment for osteoarthritis knee pain
We are yet to see robust clinical evidence to support claims that acupuncture can treat other health conditions, such as those listed above on eminations-acupuncture-clinic.co.uk.
The CAP Compliance team contacted Eminations Acupuncture Clinic but, in the absence of a response, we took the decision on 25 August 2017 to place their company details on this section of the ASA website. These details shall remain in place until such time as Eminations Acupuncture Clinic has removed or appropriately amended eminations-acupuncture-clinic.co.uk to ensure compliance with the CAP Code.